- Food and drink are not allowed in the Library. Smoking, eating, drinking and chewing gum are not permitted in any part of the Library.
- Ladders may not be used, and chairs may not be moved from their allocated places.
- Readers behaving in a manner likely to disturb others will be required to leave.
- Silence must be observed throughout the Library.
- Brief conversations and collaboration with other readers are permitted in the Reading Room only. The Library is for the purpose of study and research and not for discussions or social gatherings.
- Cameras and computers can be used only with the prior permission of the Library staff. Artificial lighting may not be used in the library.
- The use of personal stereos, tape recorders, photocopiers, telephones and portable typewriters is not permitted.
Rights of admission to the Shilstone Memorial Library is reserved. The Library shall be open on such days and during such hours as the Society’s Council may determine. The hours are Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.
Cases, bags, parcels and other containers must be deposited with the Librarian; small purses with personal belongings are allowed in at the discretion of the Librarian.
All visitors entering the Library are requested to report to the Librarian and complete the registration card. They must write their names and addresses legibly> First timers are required to read thee Library regulations and must agree to abide by them before consulting any materials.
Only the Reading Room is available for public access.
Last order for books 12:30 p.m.
All readers must leave the Library by 1:00 p.m.
On no account are readers permitted to open or take material from any case, cupboard, cabinet, desk or table. Only the Librarian or her volunteers will remove or replace books.
Everything taken out of the Library may be examined by the Security Officer on duty.
The Shilstone Memorial Library is a reference Library and all books, manuscripts and other materials are for use within the Library only.
- Books out on display or in use by members of staff are not available for immediate consultation.
- All materials must be requested through the Librarian.
- No more that 3 books may be requested at any one time.
- Readers are responsible for all materials issued to them until they have returned them.
- Volumes from the Library may only be consulted in the Reading Room.
- Library materials are not available for loan except with the written approval of the Director.
- Books and other materials must not be damaged or defaced in any way. All offenders will be prosecuted.
- Tracing is strictly forbidden. Sketching or writing material must not be placed on or nears any book or manuscript; readers are not permitted to make any marks on works belonging to the Library.
- No writing paper may be placed on any Library book, manuscript, etc. No open book may be placed upon another; or any object on the open pages. Books may not be placed face downwards.
- No glue, ink supplies, scissors, staples or substance or equipment which could damage a book are allowed into the Library.
- Readers should make no attempt to repair any defects in books themselves, or to cut uncut pages of a book. They should be brought to the attention of the staff at the Enquiry desk.
- All books must be returned to the Librarian after use.
REPRODUCTION OF COLLECTIONS
- Materials may not be reproduced without permission of the Librarian. Some request will be denied should it, in the view of the Librarian, pose a conservation risk or potential damage to the item.
- Requests for publication of material must be approved by the Director.
- Materials in the Special Collections may only be consulted by readers, on approval of the Librarian.
- Restricted materials will not be delivered to unoccupied seats.
- Any reader who leaves the reading room, even for a short period, should hand in to the desk all books or manuscripts in use, and reclaim them on return.
- Readers are not normally allowed to use more than one volume or manuscript, or three volumes of other restricted material, at a time. Readers desiring several restricted items may apply for them all at once, and claim additional materials as earlier works are returned to the desk.
- Readers may use only pencil. They must have clean hands and may not read or handle newspapers while waiting for books to be delivered. Gloves must be used with some materials, as directed by Library Staff.
- Last request for restricted material, 12:00 p.m.
- Restricted material must be handed in by 12:30 p.m.